donderdag 18 augustus 2022

Psychlona – Palo Verde

 

 

Psychlona – Palo Verde
Psycho Waxx – 2022
Rock, Stoner, Desert, Psych, Space
Rated: *****

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream. One of the most anticipated albums of 2022, for me personally, is the new Psychlona album Palo Verde. The official release is tomorrow, and we’ve been rocking it for about a month now. And Psychlona will be rocking Psycho Las Vegas this weekend… I don’t think I need to tell you why it is one of my most anticipated albums, but I’m going to do it anyway. Their 2020 album Venus Skytrip was one of my absolute favorites of that year and still spins regularly. I also still think Blast Off is unrivalled as album opener. So, when the Palo Verde promo came in, there was nothing that could hold me back from immediately pushing the play button. Well, there was one thing holding me back. The level of anticipation and the legendary status Psychlona has already reached in my heart. Well, this can only lead to disappointment and disaster. Right? But I believe in Psychlona. I believe in their sound and how they make the cosmic and the galactic, sound so grounded and so earthy. And spoiler alert, on Palo Verde they manage to do that even more. And they have managed to attain this ability in the space of only three albums. Mojo Rising from 2018 was good, Venus Skytrip from 2020 legendary and Palo Verde is here to justify their status and to make a believer out of everyone… 


But before you hear me rave any more about believing, let’s try and say something about the new album Palo Verde! We already mentioned that spacey sound a few sentences earlier, well on Palo Verde, they use that space rock touch to make every sound they produce sound soaring and extremely cosmic. And at the same time give it this impressionistic, magical realistic touch. And that is not just because the cover art moves in that direction and might put those thoughts in your mind. No, no, Psychlona turn themselves more and more into the Van Gogh‘s of stonerrock. Painting shimmering compositions of truly celestial heavy rock. Turn your ear to third track Rainbird for instance, a glowing, euphoria filled composition of pure ecstasy. Slow moving, laidback, the ‘it’s all happening-groove’, before finally building to a higher platform to dive from, and dive hard into a maelstrom of colorful muddy rock n roll. The starry night comes out to dazzle you on every track, but on the sixth track Jetplane they even announce it with the vocals: “Out come the stars.” And the effects on the vocals might be one part to help you see that starry night, and to hear all the colors vibrate, but musically, Psychlona has managed to convey the power of nature, of a very warm sound, with a color palette and style all of their own. Their musical paintings seem to bridge all limitations, transcending boundaries and sparking your imagination. For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream. And with Psychlona I see them… 


I believe there’s fire inside the soul of the Psychlona four. And with that fire they have to burn, they have to move forward at a cosmic speed. What is in, will out. Of course, opening track Gasoline, obviously has that forward motion, that burning the road below you, kind of motion. And that’s without any doubt in my mind the other characteristic to the Psychlona sound. The way to convey movement, flow, and speed. Second track 1975 might be a travelling through a time warp, but will still propel you onwards once you hit that landmark date. And you will feel so alive! That wailing guitar, spiraling full of style and slowly waning and then the return of the drums and bass at two thirds of the track, euphoria once again! And we could state this about every track on the album, but perhaps the cover art says it all as well. The leaves of the tree, with their swirling motion, their fantastic colors. Hallucinatory, magical, and inspiring, Palo Verde by Psychlona is an album that will have you see all the stars in the sky, it is destined for greatness… I fear for their ears!  


(Written by JK)


Homepage

Bandcamp

Facebook

Instagram

Psycho Waxx

Psycho Las Vegas



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.