zaterdag 26 september 2020

Places Around The Sun – Places Around The Sun

 

Places Around The Sun – Places Around The Sun
Self released / Dewar PR – 2020
Rock, Stoner,
Rated: ****

For a moment there… I thought my mind had snapped and that I actually believed I was listening to Queens of The Stone Age. I saw titles like Lullabies To Paralyze, Tangled Up In Plaid and The Blood Is Love and many more flashing bright neon red, floating right before my eyes and wondered if it was possible that this was an alternative reality in which different demos from that era made it unto the record. But then the room was quiet again and my mind wandered back into the here and now and I realized I had been listening to fourpiece Places Around The Sun from Lisbon, Portugal. A quartet that have managed to magnify and enlarge certain aspects of that Queens Of The Stone Age sound and ran with it. Shit, they ran the fucking marathon with it! But where that era of QOTSA retained a bit of a harsh, dangerous and gritty edge; Places Around The Sun have managed to make it all sound gentle, easy and warm without losing anything in energy and urgency. And don’t get me wrong here, that is exactly the kind of treatment we could use right about now. Not just because it might be what the world needs, but mostly because that this has not been done with the sound we all know and love so much to such a satisfying degree. Once this albums sinks its teeth in, you’re hooked and you will love every minute of it!

(Written by JK)

Bandcamp

Facebook

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.