donderdag 27 september 2018

Deafheaven – Ordinary Corrupt Human Love


Deafheaven – Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
Anti – 2018
Metal, Black, Post
Rated: ***

I’m still a bit on the fence about this one. Deafheaven’s 2013 album Sunbather was absolutely majestic, but follow-up New Bermuda did not seem to work for me. Ordinary Corrupt Human Love works in waves. Especially whenever they go atmospheric and grandiose, it’s on those moments I go wandering around with them and get lost in the song. And it’s not that their combination of screech vocals and blast beats, their black metal and post rock, their ambient shoegaze and full on assault contorts the soul or wrings the skin. It’s just that I seem to miss something and I do not know what. But then comes Chelsea Wolfe’s guest vocals along on the much too short ballad Night People and I immediately want to hear more of this. Once again whisking George Clarke’s hellish scorching throat to the side like it’s not what we came here for. Weird. I guess my love for the band has been corrupted. But I’m sure every other metal aficionado looking for something complex, melodic, atmospheric and debilitating piece of metal will love it and appreciate it for what it is. A wild thorny flower among the concrete ruins…

(Written by JK)




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.